In today’s episode of the Learn to Code With Me podcast, I talk with Jamal O’Garro, the co-founder of Code Crew – a platform that offers affordable classes, workshops, and meetups. He’s also a self-taught software engineer.
Jamal started his career in finance, but after being let go during the financial crisis and being unemployed for a year, he decided to transition into tech. He started to teach himself how to code and set up some study groups, which turned into teaching workshops. He started to become recognized for teaching, and Code Crew was born!
In this episode, Jamal shares with us the resources he used to learn how to code. He also reminds us how important it is to create a network of peers.
- Make sure you go to meetups, hackathons, and tech conferences. It’s important to build a network of peers for advice and help on your journey.
- Loads of opportunities can come from your personal network, including jobs.
- Follow the Twitter accounts of the language you’re interested in; these are great places to find learning materials.
Links and mentions from the episode:
- Code Crew
- The Ruby on Rails Tutorial by Michael Hartl
- Learn to Program by Chris Pine
- General Assembly
- Learn Programming subreddit
- Jamal on Twitter – @jsogarro
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for tuning in! Remember, you can listen to the Learn to Code With Me podcast on the following platforms:
If you have a few extra minutes, please rate and review the show in iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show. I would really, really appreciate it!
Special thanks to this episode’s sponsors
Flatiron School: Flatiron School offers an online web developer program with a focus on community, actual development tools, and a curriculum that will teach you the skills you need to land a career as a developer. Visit flatironbootcampprep.com to get an amazing $500 off your first month.
FreshBooks: FreshBooks is excited to announce the launch of an all new freelancer-friendly version of their accounting software. To claim an unrestricted 30-day free trial, just go to freshbooks.com/learntocode and enter LEARN TO CODE WITH ME in the “How Did You Hear About Us?” section.