In today’s episode of the Learn to Code With Me podcast, I talk with Alexandra Dickinson, the CEO and founder of Ask For It – a consulting company that gives people the skills and confidence to negotiate.
Alexandra started her journey in communications and training, gaining both her bachelor's and master’s degrees in communications. She has always been interested in gender equality and now specialises in closing the wage gap for women. Alexandra is also a certified yoga teacher!
In this episode, Alexandra teaches us ways to ask for a raise and gives us tips for negotiating a higher wage in a new job. She reminds us how important it is to be confident in your skills and experience and to value your worth in the workplace.
- When asking for a raise, put evidence together of the great work you’ve done and how much value you have brought to the company so far.
- When you have a performance review, ask for actionable things you can do to improve. You can point to this in your next review.
- If you’re looking for a new job and you want to negotiate your wage, be clear on the market rate and what your position in the market is (are you new to the market or do you have years of experience?).
- Make sure you talk to people of both genders and compare their salaries (ideally three men and three women). You can look through LinkedIn if you don’t know six people in the industry.
- When asking for a raise or negotiating a wage, use the pregnant pause after your question to your advantage; people don’t like silence so if you can get comfortable with it, the other person will fill the space.
- If you’re struggling with confidence or imposter syndrome, think about what you would say to your best friend if they felt that way. Ask people you’re close to or your colleagues what they think your superpowers are and what you’re naturally talented at.
Links and mentions from the episode:
- Ask For It
- 3 Negotiating Tips For Industry Switchers
- Alexandra on Twitter – @_alexdickinson
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for tuning in! Remember, you can listen to the Learn to Code With Me podcast on the following platforms:
If you have a few extra minutes, please rate and review the show in iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show. I would really, really appreciate it!
Special thanks to this episode’s sponsors
FreshBooks: FreshBooks is excited to announce the launch of an all new freelancer-friendly version of their accounting software. To claim an unrestricted 30-day free trial, just go to freshbooks.com/learntocode and enter LEARN TO CODE WITH ME in the “How Did You Hear About Us?” section.
Flatiron School: Flatiron School offers an online web developer program with a focus on community, actual development tools, and a curriculum that will teach you the skills you need to land a career as a developer. Visit flatironbootcampprep.com to get an amazing $500 off your first month.