In today's episode of the Learn to Code With Me podcast, I talk with Debbie Milburn. Debbie is a former classical violinist who left music school to seek a career in tech. She is a graduate of Dev Bootcamp and currently works for DBC as an apprentice instructor.
Debbie's journey from musician to bootcamp instructor began when she decided that a performance career was not for her. She started by teaching herself how to code using online resources. She eventually chose to seek a more structured learning environment, which brought her to Dev Bootcamp. She describes why she chose DBC and how she transitioned from student to apprentice.
In our conversation, Debbie talks about seeking new opportunities and cautions against letting fear get in the way. She gives advice about problem solving, building projects, and teamwork. Debbie also stresses the importance of meeting people in tech and finding a learning environment that works best for you.
- Bootcamps are a great way to add structure to your learning process. It's not just about learning to code, it's about learning to code the right way.
- Learning how to work as part of a team is an important aspect of working in tech. If you don't know how to work in a group, technical knowledge won't be enough.
- Building projects will help you learn how to solve problems. It helps you see what you're doing wrong and see where you still need to learn. Even if your project never goes live, you have something to add to your portfolio.
- Don't let fear stop you from trying something new in tech. Big life changes can be scary, but fear doesn't mean you're going in the wrong direction.
- If you're having a lot of trouble solving a problem, take a step back and figure out how it can be smaller problems.
- Go to meetups. Meet the people who are in tech. Find out what it's like to be in that community and see if it feels like the right fit.
Links and mentions from the episode:
Get this episode's transcript!
Sign-up below to gain access to this episode's transcript!
Enter you email address below to gain access to this episode's transcript as well as every other LTCWM podcast episode.
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for tuning in! Remember, you can listen to the Learn to Code With Me podcast on the following platforms:
If you have a few extra minutes, please rate and review the show in iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show. I would really, really appreciate it!
Special thanks to this episode’s sponsors
HyperDev: Want to build fullstack web apps for free? Want to write both backend and frontend code and have your apps go live instantly? Head over to the HyperDev developer playground and start building!