In today’s episode of the Learn to Code With Me podcast, I talk with Christie Pitts. Christie is a venture development manager at Verizon Ventures. Her current focus is on developing relationships in the startup community.
Christie began working at Verizon twelve years ago as a customer service representative. She worked her way up through retail store leadership and sales positions before completing her master’s degree. Then she was able to move into more strategic roles in marketing, business development, and operations.
In our conversation, Christie shares how she’s managed to progress so far within one company. She also explains how Verizon and other companies are using venture capital to improve diversity in tech. Overall, Christie teaches us the importance of working for a company whose values you share.
- Getting opportunities to progress within a company depends on both luck and hard work.
- The more you can align what you do for a living with what you’re passionate about, the happier you’ll be and the better you’ll perform.
- Startups are great places to work if you’re open to taking risks, wearing a lot of hats, having a lot of responsibility, and learning a lot.
- If you work for a big company and you’re unhappy in your job, you don’t have to leave. You can try to move to another department or position or seek out internal training opportunities instead.
- Rank the different aspects of your job to see how much of it you love. To evaluate a new opportunity, assess whether it has more of the things you love than your current job.
Links and mentions from the episode:
- Verizon Ventures
- Verizon Ventures blog
- Verizon Ventures podcast
- National Venture Capital Association
- BBG Ventures
- 2X in Tech
- Kapor Capital
- Backstage Capital
- Cross Culture Ventures
- Project Include
- Startup Grind
- Startup Weekend
- LAUNCH Festival
- S2E19: Studying Law to Building Startups in Silicon Valley with Harj Taggar
- Y Combinator
- Christie on Twitter @imchristiepitts
- Christie on LinkedIn
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for tuning in! Remember, you can listen to the Learn to Code With Me podcast on the following platforms:
If you have a few extra minutes, please rate and review the show in iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show. I would really, really appreciate it!
Special thanks to this episode’s sponsors
Rithm School: Rithm offers 200+ hours of free online courses and is an amazing resource for anyone looking to become an exceptional fullstack web developer. Sign up and start learning at rithmschool.com/courses.
Level: Level from Northeastern University provides short-term, intensive programs where learners gain in-demand tech skills and experience. Go to leveledu.com/apply and enter the promo code learntocode to get a 15% discount.