In today’s episode of the Learn to Code With Me podcast, I talk with Harj Taggar. Harj studied law in the UK before deciding to follow his passion into the tech world. Early success in startups and at Y Combinator led him to create Triplebyte. As the cofounder and CEO, he helps software engineers land jobs at top tech companies.
Harj's journey to Triplebyte is full of twists and turns and making the most of new opportunities. After finishing university, Harj applied to Y Combinator and moved to the Bay Area. He sold his company and later became the first non founding partner of Y Combinator.
In our conversation, Harj discusses the importance of finding companies that value your skills. He talks about making the right connections and reaching out to people who can help you. We get to hear about the screening process for Triplebyte and how it can help match you with the best job. Ultimately, Harj's dedication to following his passion is now helping others do the same.
- We now live in a world where technology driven startups that grow fast are the new badge of prestige.
- Many companies that can't compete for the best people look for those who don't look great on paper. If your resume is lacking, find an employer willing to judge you on skills rather than your job history.
- If you don't have connections in Silicon Valley, your skills might not be enough to get you in. Expand your network so you have someone in the community who can vouch for you.
- Follow your passion, even if it may not seem like the best move. Don't underestimate the value of taking chances and reaching out to people who can help you.
- There isn't a clear spectrum of bad engineer to great engineer. Instead, there are a lot of dimensions along which you can succeed in the right job.
- Seek out a company that values your specific skillset and places a high priority on the type of engineer you want to be.
Links and mentions from the episode:
- Y Combinator
- The Refragmentation by Paul Graham
- Harj on LinkedIn
- Live Current Media
- Harj on Twitter @harjeet
- Email Harj at firstname.lastname@example.org
Get this episode's transcript!
Sign-up below to gain access to this episode's transcript!
Enter you email address below to gain access to this episode's transcript as well as every other LTCWM podcast episode.
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for tuning in! Remember, you can listen to the Learn to Code With Me podcast on the following platforms:
If you have a few extra minutes, please rate and review the show in iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show. I would really, really appreciate it!
Special thanks to this episode’s sponsors
Flatiron School: If you’re looking for a career change, sign up for classes today at flatironschool.com. Don’t forget to take advantage of the special Learn to Code With Me discount and get $500 off your first month!