In today’s episode of the Learn to Code With Me podcast, I speak to Brad Hussey. Brad is a freelance web developer, online course creator, and blogger.
Brad started his freelancing career only a few months after starting college, where he studied web design. He began working as a front-end web developer at an agency shortly after graduation, but left a year later to pursue freelancing full-time. In January 2013, Brad created his first course on Udemy. And over the next year, his income from online courses began to surpass that from freelancing.
In our conversation Brad gives advice on how to create solid sources of passive income, being an action-taker, and finding the right audience for any business. He stresses the importance of setting big goals and hustling to make progress every single day. Brad also shares his favorite resources, tips, and tools for anyone interested in making their own online courses.
Disclosure: I’m a proud Udemy affiliate. If you buy a Udemy course through my links on this page, I may get a small commission for referring you. Thanks!
- When freelancing, you usually get paid when a job is finished. Find a way to bridge the valley by supplementing your income with other streams of revenue.
- Preparation for a job is the same no matter how big the job is. Make the preparation count by choosing jobs that are worth the time you’re spending.
- “Passive income” is a revenue stream that consistently generates money and requires little ongoing management. Creating a solid source of passive income is the hardest work you'll ever do at first, since all the work is done up front. But once it’s established, you can earn revenue in the long term.
- Gaining YouTube subscribers isn’t just about making money through advertising; it’s also about increasing exposure to your brand. YouTube is a great way to draw people to your website, blog, or newsletter, and eventually turn them into paying customers.
- Rather than asking “Why them, not me?” ask “How can I do that, too?” Be an action-taker and put your freedom, fate, and time back into your own hands.
- There’s an audience for everybody in a global market, but you have to do the work and find it.
- If you want to start generating passive income, begin by setting a big, specific, and time-bound goal that gives you something to work for and can hold you accountable to the process.
- As a beginner, make sure to take advantage of the right resources and follow the right people.
FYI: Brad has a special discount for LTCWM listeners where you can get 25% off a monthly subscription to Code College. Click here to check it out.
Links and mentions from the episode:
- Code College
- Smart Passive Income
- Ramit Sethi
- Nathan Barry
- My very own free blogging guide
- 25% off a monthly Code College subscription
Enter you email address below to gain access to this episode's transcript as well as every other LTCWM podcast episode.
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for tuning in! Remember, you can listen to the Learn to Code With Me podcast on the following platforms:
If you have a few extra minutes, please rate and review the show in iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show. I would really, really appreciate it!