In today's episode of the Learn to Code With me podcast, I speak with Joyce Akiko. If you are looking to get started on the path to freedom and flexibility, Joyce will help you get there.
Joyce is a writer, coach, and trainer for budding freelancers. You can find Joyce at joyceakiko.com where she teaches people to become their own boss. She also offers a free course called Freelance on the Side.
In today's conversation, Joyce talks about relationship building and networking. She details her early volunteer work and how it helped her start making connections. Joyce also highlights the importance of discovering your target clients and understanding their needs.
As a freelancer, your goal should be setting up a sustainable and profitable business for the long term. Ultimately, Joyce shows us how to step outside the comfort zone and find success.
- Closing deals, completing projects, and making money is important, but relationship building is key. When you have a good relationship with the right people, they will naturally connect you to the right kind of clients.
- Volunteering can help you gain experience and add items to your portfolio. It will also help you meet new people, which is essential to building your network.
- Know who your target clients are and do the research to figure out what they want, then find a way to give it to them.
- Reach out to potential clients. Record conversations and note exact phrasing. And store it for future reference.
- Keep your business and personal banking separate. Get an EIN and establish separate accounts right from the beginning.
- Don't be afraid to ask for referrals. Get testimonials from clients and ask for introductions to people who need your services. Follow up every few months to keep your client relationships strong.
- Connect with people who can become potential business partners in the future. Even if you don't work with them, referral partners can help grow your network.
- Rather than getting jobs fast, take the time to build relationships the right way. When you focus on quality clients, your business will be more sustainable and profitable long-term.
Links and mentions from the episode:
- Tim Ferriss
- Newbie Code Warehouse
- My very own Freelance Starter Guide
Get this episode's transcript!
Sign-up below to gain access to this episode's transcript!
Enter you email address below to gain access to this episode's transcript as well as every other LTCWM podcast episode.
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for tuning in! Remember, you can listen to the Learn to Code With Me podcast on the following platforms:
If you have a few extra minutes, please rate and review the show in iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show. I would really, really appreciate it!