In today's episode of the Learn to Code With Me podcast, I talk with Bryan Knight. Bryan started coding in college before joining the Air Force and then pursuing a career in real estate. He returned to coding after earning a degree in audio engineering. Bryan now works remotely for ClickFox, a tech company based in Denver, CO.
Bryan's roundabout journey to a coding career is one many people can relate to. He faced financial and career difficulties, but didn't let that stop him from searching out his true passion. Bryan talks about how his limited options led him to seek a career in tech.
Bryan talks about the resources he used to teach himself to code and how some worked better for him than others. He also details his preparation process for interviews. Bryan's valuable experiences with recruiters and potential employers give him a unique perspective on the interview process. Overall, his determination and willingness to take risks brought him the success he has today.
- Find the learning process that works best for you. If you need more structure, look for resources that can guide you through everything step by step.
- When you're getting started, look for opportunities to volunteer. You may not get paid right away, but you might create something that can be used on a resume or portfolio.
- Interviews are a good way to expose your weak areas. Don't let difficult interviews discourage you. Keep moving forward until you find the opportunity that is best for you.
- Recruiters won't always have your best interests in mind. Prepare for many inquiries from 3rd party recruiters who aren't willing to work with what you need.
- Google is your friend. Look up technical interview questions and take the time to study the ones you don't know. The more you prepare, the more confident you'll be going into the interview.
- Glassdoor is a great resource for researching potential interview questions. Find questions from major companies and use them as a preparation tool.
Links and mentions from the episode:
- Team Treehouse
- Code School
- Bryan on Twitter @bknightcode
- Bryan on LinkedIn
Get this episode's transcript!
Sign-up below to gain access to this episode's transcript!
Enter you email address below to gain access to this episode's transcript as well as every other LTCWM podcast episode.
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for tuning in! Remember, you can listen to the Learn to Code With Me podcast on the following platforms:
If you have a few extra minutes, please rate and review the show in iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show. I would really, really appreciate it!
Special thanks to this episode’s sponsor
Flatiron School: If you’re looking for a career change, sign up for classes today at flatironschool.com. Don’t forget to take advantage of the special Learn to Code With Me discount and get $500 off your first month!