Allan Leinwand is the CTO at ServiceNow. Over his career, he has built a reputation for managing the world’s most demanding clouds.
In his role at ServiceNow, Allan is personally responsible for overseeing all technical aspects and guiding the long-term technology strategy for the company. He is involved in building and running the ServiceNow Enterprise Cloud–the second largest enterprise cloud computing environment on the planet.
During college, Allan knew he wanted to be involved in tech, though he wasn't sure in what specific capacity. His first post-graduation job was at HP, where he fell in love with computer science and networking. He then worked at Cisco, and now ServiceNow, where he has delved more into machine learning and cloud computing.
In our conversation, we talk about how Allan pursued a career in tech leadership, the difference between AI and machine learning, what to do if you want a career in machine learning or technical leadership, and more.
- Want a machine learning career path? Figure out a topic that interests you, e.g. self-driving cars or taking data and producing results. There are many paths you can take.
- Once you've found a topic you love, go deep. Focus on one particular area, become an expert and the go-to person for your topic, and become known for it.
- In the future, most “drudge work” will likely be done by machines. Don't stay in a job that can be easily automated.
- You don’t need to be in management to get ahead in your career. If you're not interested in leadership roles, focus on being the best you can be at the job you have or want.
- It takes time to become an expert at anything. You might start out working at an IT help desk and grow from there.
Links and mentions from the episode:
- Allan on Twitter @leinwand
- Allan on LinkedIn
- C / C++
- Amazon Web Services
- Google Cloud Platform
- Microsoft Azure
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for tuning in! Remember, you can listen to the Learn to Code With Me podcast on the following platforms:
If you have a few extra minutes, please rate and review the show in iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show. I would really, really appreciate it!
Special thanks to this episode’s sponsors
Interview Cake: Interview Cake is a tool that helps you practice technical interview questions, so you can land your first—or next—job in tech. When you join Interview Cake, you get over 50 hours of technical interview practice questions. To find out more and get 20% off, go to learntocodewith.me/cake.
Firehose Project: Firehose Project is an online coding bootcamp that fits around your busy schedule. Through personalized 1-on-1 mentorship and a robust curriculum, they prepare you to launch a career as a web developer. To get a free, personalized career transition plan and $250 off their Software Engineering Program, go to learntocodewith.me/firehose.