In today's episode of the Learn to Code With Me podcast, I talk with Jade Applegate. Jade previously worked in public health as a project manager and business consultant. She now works at Fastly as a user experience engineer.
Jade became interested in coding after she observed her company doing a website update. She followed that interest to General Assembly's web development bootcamp. Jade's transition into tech and her learning process can provide valuable insights to new coders.
In our conversation Jade talks about her bootcamp experience and making the most of the program. She highlights the importance of preparation and asking the right questions in an interview. She also gives her advice on networking and narrowing the choices when looking for a job. Ultimately, Jade reminds us it's easy to become overwhelmed while job hunting. Finding balance is essential in order to stay on track.
- Coding bootcamps require an intense commitment for a limited time. Give it your whole attention and remember that you can get back to normal when it's over.
- You get out of bootcamp what you put into it. You have to complete the assignments and spend the time to take advantage of the full program.
- Impostor syndrome is normal. Try your best and focus on learning more rather than what you don't know.
- When you're looking for a job, leverage every single person you've ever met. The more people you can connect with, the more opportunities you'll have.
- Don't go into your dream job interview without practice. Get comfortable answering questions and you will feel more prepared walking into the interview.
- Ask clarifying questions during the interview. The goal is to show that you can communicate as you problem solve and do the work. This helps show the interviewer how you will perform day to day.
- Narrow your job choices before you start applying. Be specific about what you want in a job and it will help you zero in on companies where you want to work.
- It's important to find balance during your job search. It can become overwhelming, but take time to relax and give yourself a break once in awhile.
Links and mentions from the episode:
- General Assembly
- Jade on LinkedIn
- Stack Overflow
- Interview Cake
- Parker Phinney’s season 1 podcast interview
- Jade on Twitter @JadeApplegate
Get this episode's transcript!
Sign-up below to gain access to this episode's transcript!
Enter you email address below to gain access to this episode's transcript as well as every other LTCWM podcast episode.
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for tuning in! Remember, you can listen to the Learn to Code With Me podcast on the following platforms:
If you have a few extra minutes, please rate and review the show in iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show. I would really, really appreciate it!
Special thanks to this episode’s sponsors
The Tech Academy: If you’re looking for a bootcamp that will prepare you for a career in tech, sign up for the Tech Academy’s 15 week Software Development Bootcamp. Head over to learncodinganywhere.com and take advantage of this month’s special discount.
Flatiron School: If you’re looking for a career change, sign up for classes today at flatironschool.com. Don’t forget to take advantage of the special Learn to Code With Me discount and get $500 off your first month!