With a bachelor’s degree in economics and a master’s in market research and consumer behavior, Masha Zvereva is well-versed in influencer marketing and how people work on a micro and macro scale.
She has also enjoyed coding in one form or another since she was a child, so when she was re-introduced to tech while working for a startup in Madrid, her passion for tech was rekindled. Her dream from there was to work at Google. She spent months applying and asking her network to refer her, all while pursuing tech in other ways too.
Then, only two weeks after starting her blog Coding Blonde, she got an interview that turned into a job. While her role at Google was not directly tech-related, it involved working with YouTubers, which inspired her to keep growing her own social presence.
Coding Blonde evolved from a blog into a blog, YouTube channel, and social presence. Now, Masha does influencer marketing with Coding Blonde full-time—combining her passions for people, technology, and content creation all in one.
In today’s episode, we talk about combining your passions, what’s involved with influencer marketing, why it can be difficult and discouraging work, the importance of defining your mission, and more.
- Getting a job takes time, and that’s perfectly fine; it took Masha half a year of applying and asking her network for referrals
- Speaking of referrals, one of the best ways to get a job at big companies (or small ones!) is to get referred by someone who works there
- There’s nothing wrong with jumping around a bit before you settle on the thing you know you want to do
- If you want to grow a presence on social media, use trial and error to decide when and what to post for best results. Also work with the community within your industry so you can help and boost each other
- Don’t expect an overnight success—social media and blogging takes years of hard work, dedication, and consistency. But if you have a mission, that’s what keeps you going
Links and mentions from the episode:
- Coding Blonde
- Coding Blonde on Twitter
- Coding Blonde on Instagram
- Coding Blonde on YouTube
- S2E1: From Teacher to Github Employee with Briana Swift
Where to listen to the podcast
You can listen to the Learn to Code With Me podcast on the following platforms:
If you have a few extra minutes, please rate and review the show in iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show. I would really, really appreciate it!
Special thanks to this episode’s sponsors
Thinkful: With online programs, flexible classes, and one-on-one mentoring, Thinkful’s Product Design program can help you land a job as a product designer. To get $500 off, go to learntocodewith.me/thinkful.