Josh Doody is a salary negotiation coach and author who helps software developers receive more job offers and negotiate higher salaries.
In addition to helping clients one-on-one, Josh wrote the book Fearless Salary Negotiation, which includes his best strategies and tactics for getting paid what you're worth. The principles in this book can be used by anyone, not just software developers!
Our conversation covers how Josh got inspired to pursue the art of negotiation, how to stand out during the interview and hiring process, some of his top salary negotiation strategies, and how to get promoted at your current company.
- When interviewing for a new job, it’s important that you stand out as THE candidate for the job–not just a “good enough” candidate.
- You shouldn’t be afraid of the question “Why should we hire you?” Make sure you answer without using too many “I” statements. Understand the company's goals and tell them how you’ll solve their problems.
- Cover letters aren’t as important as they used to be. In fact, most good opportunities will come from your network, and references from other people are a lot more powerful than a cover letter.
- There are two types of negotiation: negotiating a job offer, and negotiating a title and/or raise at your current company. The strategies involved have similarities and differences.
- Negotiating a title change and raise can often go hand-in-hand. Usually, a promotion (title change) comes with a raise.
Links and mentions from the episode:
- Josh on Twitter @JoshDoody
- Fearless Salary Negotiation: A step-by-step guide to getting paid what you're worth
- Free email templates to ask your boss for a raise
- Fearless Salary Negotiation
- Salary Negotiation: Make More Money, Be More Valued
- How to answer “Why should we hire you?” and other interview questions
- How to negotiate your starting salary with a compelling counter offer email
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for tuning in! Remember, you can listen to the Learn to Code With Me podcast on the following platforms:
If you have a few extra minutes, please rate and review the show in iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show. I would really, really appreciate it!
Special thanks to this episode’s sponsors
Make School: If you want to accelerate your tech skills in a higher education setting without student debt, check out Make School’s Product College, an accelerated higher education for the next generation of tech leaders. Only pay tuition after you graduate and launch your career at companies like Facebook and Google. Find out more at makeschool.com.
Flatiron School: Flatiron School offers an online web developer program with a focus on community, actual development tools, and a curriculum that will teach you the skills you need to land a career as a developer. Visit flatironbootcampprep.com to get an amazing $500 off your first month.