In today’s episode of the Learn to Code With Me podcast, I talk with Seema Gururaj. Seema is the founder and CEO of Square Circle, a platform that helps women technologists grow their profiles within the tech industry.
After studying computer science and working at IBM for eight years, Seema became the director of the Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing at the Anita Borg Institute. She then worked on providing gender equity strategies at a corporate organization before starting Square Circle.
In our conversation, Seema tells us about her journey into social entrepreneurship. She explains why it’s important that women become more visible within the tech world, and how they can share their work with more people. Overall, she reminds us to challenge the lack of diversity in this industry.
- Many of the top female visionaries are missing from the media.
- If you’re a woman, start talking about the work you’re doing.
- If you’re nervous about sharing your ideas, focus on helping others and sharing your passion. This should take some of the pressure off!
- If speaking isn’t your thing, you don’t have to get on stage. Find another way to tell your story – write an article for a magazine, start a podcast, or create a blog.
- If you want to take on a leadership role, look for opportunities to mentor others, volunteer, or take a course outside of work.
- When interviewing for a job, ask questions and talk to the people you’d be working with. You can also look on LinkedIn or on the company’s website to see how diverse the team is.
Links and mentions from the episode:
- Square Circle
- Anita Borg Institute
- The Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing
- Yoky Matsuoka
- Sheila Nirenberg
- Dr Arati Prabhakar
- Lorrie Faith Cranor
- Girl Develop It
- Girls Who Code
- Elon Musk
- Seema on Twitter @seema_gururaj
- Seema on LinkedIn
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for tuning in! Remember, you can listen to the Learn to Code With Me podcast on the following platforms:
If you have a few extra minutes, please rate and review the show in iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show. I would really, really appreciate it!
Special thanks to this episode’s sponsors
Level: Level from Northeastern University provides short-term, intensive programs where learners gain in-demand tech skills and experience. Go to leveledu.com/apply and enter the promo code learntocode to get a 15% discount.
Rithm School: Rithm offers 200+ hours of free online courses and is an amazing resource for anyone looking to become an exceptional fullstack web developer. Sign up and start learning at rithmschool.com/courses.