In today's episode, I speak with Lisa Ghisolf. Lisa lives in Chicago and is the founder of Gizmo Creative Factory, a small graphic design studio specializing in WordPress and graphic design. Since 2003 Lisa has been running her business, building websites, and speaking at conferences.
Lisa's commitment to following her passions has led to many opportunities over the last 17 years. She has worked with a variety of agencies, small businesses, and nonprofits. Lisa talks about making connections through her personal side projects. She also discusses the importance of networking and stepping outside your comfort zone.
Moreover, Lisa shares her strategies for keeping up with changes in technology. She also talks about understanding your audience and finding people who will appreciate your knowledge. Ultimately, Lisa reminds us that trusting your instincts and valuing your skills can help you succeed.
- It's easy to feel isolated when you work by yourself. Get involved in the community by sharing your knowledge and learning from others. It can open up new opportunities.
- Websites are like living, breathing things that need constant attention. Keep the connection alive with the client to be there when they need you.
- It's important to get your code out there and show what you can do. Find new ways to share what you've learned.
- Understand your limits but don't undersell yourself. Valuing your skills is important.
- Camps and conferences can be a great way to expand your network and trade war stories with other developers and designers.
- There's always some who knows less than you and will appreciate your knowledge. Find something you can speak with authority on and bring it to the people who want to learn.
- Know your audience. You'll be more successful when you can deliver a targeted message.
- Technology is constantly changing. To stay on top of your game, keep learning new things.
Links and mentions from the episode:
- Gizmo Creative Factory
- American Marketing Association
- Lisa on Twitter @gizmodesign
- Lisa on Instagram @worktraveltech
- My very own Free Portfolio Course
Get this episode's transcript!
Sign-up below to gain access to this episode's transcript.
Enter you email address below to gain access to this episode's transcript as well as every other LTCWM podcast episode.
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for tuning in! Remember, you can listen to the Learn to Code With Me podcast on the following platforms:
If you have a few extra minutes, please rate and review the show in iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show. I would really, really appreciate it!