In today's episode of the Learn to Code With Me podcast, I talk to Chris Wysopal. Chris is the co-founder and CTO at Veracode, where he oversees technology strategy and information security.
Chris studied computer and systems engineering and became a programmer in the early days of the internet. He quickly realized there would be security challenges with the internet, so he set out to understand and address them.
In our conversation, Chris gives us an overview of the jobs available in the security industry, like DevOps and SRE (site reliability engineering). He also explains how to develop the skills to work in this field and what to be aware of when building apps. Overall, he reminds us of the importance of making sure our software is secure.
- As technology changes, it creates new security problems that must be addressed.
- When you create software, be mindful of the code you don't write yourself, such as open source components. It's important to understand what that code is doing and to make sure it's secure.
- Be particularly careful when it comes to authentication and encryption. Ask yourself which frameworks and components you'll need and whether or not they're secure.
- Do security testing before you release any software. Consider how you'll test it for easy-to-find vulnerabilities.
- If you're interested in a career in security, read books about it and look to companies that are experts at it.
Links and mentions from the episode:
- CA Technologies
- Amazon Echo (Alexa)
- Amazon S3
- The DevOps Handbook
- Veracode security articles
- Chris on Twitter @weldpond
- My articles on Forbes
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for tuning in! Remember, you can listen to the Learn to Code With Me podcast on the following platforms:
If you have a few extra minutes, please rate and review the show in iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show. I would really, really appreciate it!
Special thanks to this episode's sponsors
Launch Academy: Looking for a coding bootcamp? Boston- and Philadelphia-based Launch Academy has helped over 500 students launch coding careers since 2013, with a curriculum that's updated every quarter based on hiring managers' feedback and lifetime postgrad support. Find out more at launchacademy.com.
Flatiron School: Flatiron School offers an online web developer program with a focus on community, actual development tools, and a curriculum that will teach you the skills you need to land a career as a developer. Visit flatironbootcampprep.com to get an amazing $500 off your first month.