In today’s episode of the Learn to Code With Me podcast, I talk with Raj Mukherjee. Raj is the SVP of Product at Indeed – one of the most well-known job search sites in the world.
Before joining Indeed, Raj worked for Microsoft, Google, and GoDaddy. He transitioned into the careers industry because he wanted to work for a company that would allow him to have a massive impact on people worldwide.
In this episode, Raj shares the results of some recent studies on the job market. He tells us which tech jobs are growing and how employers view bootcamp graduates. Overall, he reminds us that there’s a huge shortage of tech talent.
- There’s a massive talent shortage in the tech industry. The USA will need over a million developers in the next 3 to 5 years alone!
- For the most part, recruiters are aware of coding bootcamps, and bootcamp grads fare just as well as candidates with computer science degrees.
- Not all bootcamps are created equal, so do plenty of research before you choose one. Talk to former students to find out about the jobs they’ve landed since graduating.
- If you’re thinking of moving into the tech industry, take a step back and evaluate your life goals. Make sure it’s the right move for you.
- Find out if you actually enjoy coding before you invest in a bootcamp or degree course.
Links and mentions from the episode:
- Study: Is The Tech Talent War Hurting Innovation?
- Study: What Do Employers Really Think About Coding Bootcamps?
- Raj on Twitter @rajatism
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for tuning in! Remember, you can listen to the Learn to Code With Me podcast on the following platforms:
If you have a few extra minutes, please rate and review the show in iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show. I would really, really appreciate it!
Special thanks to this episode’s sponsors
Flatiron School: Flatiron School offers an online web developer program with a focus on community, actual development tools, and a curriculum that will teach you the skills you need to land a career as a developer. Visit flatironbootcampprep.com to get an amazing $500 off your first month.
FreshBooks: FreshBooks is excited to announce the launch of an all new freelancer-friendly version of their accounting software. To claim an unrestricted 30-day free trial, just go to freshbooks.com/learntocode and enter LEARN TO CODE WITH ME in the “How Did You Hear About Us?” section.