I’m very excited to share this episode with you. Today I talk with Astrid Countee, a software developer who followed a unique path from a graduate degree in anthropology to a successful career as a freelance developer and researcher.
Astrid takes us through her journey from college to working as a data analyst, and eventually to her time at The Iron Yard code school, which led to her current success as a programmer.
We get to hear about her passion for helping beginners as well as how she overcame discomfort with networking. Astrid talks about how she landed her first few projects, and how volunteering and attending meetups made all the difference in her continued accomplishments.
Ultimately, Astrid shares advice about stepping outside your comfort zone and making a choice today that will change the path you’re on.
- Start where you are right now. Take a good look at your current skills and use them as a jumping off point to move to the next step.
- If autonomy is the goal, figure out how to direct your own career.
- A desire to continue improving and the passion to keep moving forward can help you achieve your goals.
- Be somebody that people know. Networking is crucial to getting projects and making connections with potential clients.
- Volunteering and mentoring are great opportunities for meeting new people and building confidence.
- Before deciding if you should go to a bootcamp, research your options.
- When it comes to landing a new job in tech, demonstrating that you know how to learn is more important than knowing everything about the job.
- No matter what your goals are, the closer you work to your desired field, the closer you are to the opportunity you really want.
Links and mentions from the episode:
Get this episode's transcript!
Sign-up below to gain access to this episode's transcript!
Enter you email address below to gain access to this episode's transcript as well as every other LTCWM podcast episode.
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for tuning in! Remember, you can listen to the Learn to Code With Me podcast on the following platforms:
If you have a few extra minutes, please rate and review the show in iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show. I would really, really appreciate it!