Janina Kutyn is an iOS developer. She has previously worked at Apple and now works at ING. She also used to run the geek chic apparel brand Silicon Sweetheart.
After studying computer engineering at college, Janina worked at a couple of mobile agencies in Vancouver and London. She then moved to California to work at Apple. Recently she took some time to travel around Asia before relocating to Amsterdam, where she works at ING.
In our conversation, Janina talks about her career in iOS development, software engineering interviews, and side hustles. We also hear about her experiences of traveling and relocating around the world. Overall, she inspires us to see the work we do as a series of projects.
- Learn theoretical computer science concepts rather than just individual languages.
- Once you have one object-oriented language under your belt, it’s not that hard to learn the syntax of another language, because the concepts are the same.
- It’s important to recognize when a side project, job, or other aspect of your life isn’t working for you anymore, so you can move on.
- See every job you start as a project. Doing this will help you notice when it’s time to move onto a new role or team.
- Remote working is great but it comes with a unique set of challenges.
- If you want to relocate, find an employer who is willing to work with you on your relocation.
Links and mentions from the episode:
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for tuning in! Remember, you can listen to the Learn to Code With Me podcast on the following platforms:
If you have a few extra minutes, please rate and review the show in iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show. I would really, really appreciate it!
Special thanks to this episode’s sponsors
Rithm School: Rithm offers 200+ hours of free online courses and is an amazing resource for anyone looking to become an exceptional fullstack web developer. Sign up and start learning at rithmschool.com/courses.
Level: Level from Northeastern University provides short-term, intensive programs where learners gain in-demand tech skills and experience. Go to leveledu.com/apply and enter the promo code learntocode to get a 15% discount.